WHAT WE DO
We’re breaking the tragic cycle of impoverished mums, begging children and human trafficking.
RESCUING ABUSED CHILDREN
- Hundreds of international sex traffickers arrive iin Bali each month, with the aim of assaulting vulnerable children on the streets.
- Diandra, our Social Worker and Child Psychologist, works with police to rescue and rehabilitate abused children, and convict the offenders.
PROVIDING SAFE, COMFORTABLE HOUSING
- Many of the mums and kids live in small huts with mud floors and no sanitation in dangerous slums. We move the mums and kids into clean, safe, comfortable housing — away from the crosshairs of sex traffickers.
FEEDING THE HUNGRY
- Most children living in the slums in Bali, get to eat only one bowl of rice per day, resulting in malnutrition and illness. We provide a full protein breakfast, fruit, milk and vitamin C supplements to 35 street kids per day.
MEDICAL AID AND COUNSELING
- After years of begging on the streets, many children are malnourished and have suffered mental, physical and sexual abuse. We provide as much medical aid and counselling as they need.
EDUCATING THE KIDS
- Children who are begging up to 12 hours a day on the hot streets of Kuta do not get to go to school. Once we rescue the kids from the streets we enroll them in school, providing uniforms, books and school fees.
- Many of them have been begging for 8-10 years, don’t have birth certificates, and don’t know the meaning of the word “play.” When we tell them to have fun, they start sweeping — because simple work is their version of “fun,” compared to hard labor. Our social worker, Diandra, helps fix all that so they can learn to be children again.
EMPOWERING THE MUMS
- It is important the mothers earn an income so that they do not take their children back to the streets to beg. We teach the mothers handicrafts, which are then sold through various shops and markets providing the mums with an income.